His Love Runs Far and Deep


His Love Runs Far and Deep:

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another." (1 John 4:7-11)

There are many times when I feel like I've messed up so terribly that maybe God's love for me is just a little weaker than it was on say, one of my good days. You know, the days when I get along with those around me and read His Word more? However, those days when I wake up, stub my toes on the bedside, forget to brush my hair or say a prayer, and enter the day with the haze of gloominess hanging over me? The enemy uses the inevitably fallen nature of our humanity - our day to day faultiness - to deceive us into believing things that are not true.

We mustn't get so overwhelmed by our all of our "badnessthat we forget about all of His goodness!

"The LORD is merciful and gracious, Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy." (Psalms 103:8)

You see, it's easy to let failures discourage us and drag us down, but God has called us to be brave and bold. To live with courageous faith in all that He is! Not depending on our own abilities, we're invited by His gracious Presence to partake in this gift of His unfailing, unconditional love and mercy. God's love runs so deep... Far deeper than our deepest darkest defeats or disgraces.

This is where we stand in all of our confusion:

"LORD, don’t hold back your tender mercies from me. Let your unfailing love and faithfulness always protect me. For troubles surround me— too many to count! My sins pile up so high I can’t see my way out. They outnumber the hairs on my head. I have lost all courage. Please, LORD, rescue me! Come quickly, LORD, and help me." (Psalms 40:11-13)

But then, God comes swooping into our hopeless situation and makes a way, and He saves us with His heroic compassion:

"Sing for joy, O heavens, and be joyful, O earth, and break forth into singing, O mountains! For the Lord has comforted His people and will have compassion upon His afflicted." (Isaiah 49:13)

I love the way this verse begins with the proclamation to sing for joy. Joy. Joy feels so foreign to the suppressed soul. But when God graciously covers us in His comforting compassion, as He's promised He will, our spirits can break free from that cage of condemnation that sin imprisons around us.

"But you, O Lord, are a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness." (Psalms 86:15)

So whatever is burdening you this day, take it to God's Throne of Mercy. Receive from Him the gift that covers over every doubt: His unfailing love. He is faithful! He never goes back on His promises, and He's given us a sure fire promise of hope!

Let this hope anchor your soul in the vast ocean of His unending love. His love which runs so deep, it cleanses us from every single one of our burdensome iniquities. He's here with us now, and He's making us into His pure righteousness. Trust. Trust the relaxed and unhurried rhythm of His faithful love.


-The Introverted Evangelist

Photograph taken by my friend Todd. Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty and Wonder of Grace

Faith That He is Near Always

I Loved You at Your Darkest